Latest find

More
8 years 11 months ago #36 by gioorl
Latest find was created by gioorl
This weekend I've been lucky enough to find what I believe to be a great gem. I've just brought home a 1920 Skootamota Model 1B in original condition (this does include quite a lot of rust) and it appears to be complete of everything...well, yes the tires are not there and the rear stand doesn't actually stand

Not sure when I'll finish it but the plan is to keep it as original as possible, no fresh paint or nickel plating
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabney, skootamota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #37 by skootamota
Replied by skootamota on topic Latest find
Giovanni, What a wonderful find, was it originally a UK registered machine? I know someone that remakes Skootamota stands so it might be useful? until you find an original

More
8 years 11 months ago #38 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Latest find
I have not yet searched information on the Registration number as I focused more on finding some tires (not as easy at it seems...) but I believe this was a UK registered scooter. It belonged to the late Mrs. Joice Cobbin and I'm assuming she kept it in her barn for at least the past forty years.
No documents came with it thou. I'll try to decipher the reg number and do some research.
I would be very glad to get a temporary stand before I break the one I have.

Does anybody know something about Skootamota carburetors?
I have what I believe to be a late type (1920 to 1922???)

...but I've seen a different type on some Skootamota's dated 1919

Thank you,
Giovanni
Attachments:

More
8 years 10 months ago #53 by Gnome Rhone 1
Replied by Gnome Rhone 1 on topic Latest find
Giovanni....how did you go with the tyres?

More
8 years 10 months ago #54 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Latest find
So far no luck.
From a copy of an old magazine I came to know that the original beaded edge tires are 16x2 3/8" but these have not been produced for at least 10 years.
I can find wired tires that will fit the 12" rims but I don't want to give up the search just yet (I'll wait a little longer :) )

With David's help, I have managed to find the original registration number and I'm waiting for the West Sussex Archive to send me a copy of the 1920 card.
Don't know yet if there will be enough information in there to reclaim the registration number from the DVLA but I'm curious to see what's in there; so far I've been told it's registered as "1.5 Gilbert Campling Motor Scooter" instead of ABC.
Makes sense given Campling had all the rights on the Skootamota design. I now wonder how many (if any) were registered as ABC.

The bike is now in bits and if this weekend will be dry, I'll carry on cleaning all the mud and grease. Must say that a novice like myself finds this old mud too similar to stones :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #64 by alex
Replied by alex on topic Latest find
Hi Giovanni,
Splendid scootamota. Love it.

I have acquired (heaven knows how) a box of "New Old Stock" barrels and pistons (Scootamota).
Any good to you?
You may get a "Brooklands lap speed record"!
I'll be putting them on your splendid website (well done), in the correct department, when i've taken some pics.
Any other ABC scootamota fans do contact me if you are interested (14 pairs available).
Sorry can't help with the tyres.
Keep the patina if you can.
Let us know how you get on.
And in case anyones interested, I'm restoring an ABC flat twin (1920ish). Glacial progress.
Anyone got a piston or 2?