Old Registration Records

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #1271 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Old Registration Records
looking at some of the numbers, 1933 1970 1454 look good if they are not on the register 1009 i dont know, could n95 be 1195 18158 be 1815 or 1818 ? 6267 be 1267 or 2267 a33 be 1133 they did not have specsavers then. did the index cards have other information, owners etc.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by keithsams. Reason: added information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1272 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Old Registration Records
I've gone through the files again and can match Rego numbers (licence plate numbers) to engine numbers plus clarify a little more. Under the Victorian registation system number plates are issued by the State and are only valid for the period of registration. If you didn't do an annual renewal you handed in the plates and were issued with another set when if and when you re-registered the vehicle. Consequently any vehicle can have multiple rego numbers throughout its life. No issued for life permanent numbers.
From this info it may possibly help in photo identification of any local ABC photos that pop up.
Engine number 33 (possibly A33, additional scrawls on card don't help) Reg number 42475, issued 26.6.37.
Engine number N95, Reg no 12511, issued ?.?.38? date illegible
Engine number 1009, Reg no 18806, issued 8.11.48
Engine number 1454, Reg nos 41539, issued 28.2.??, re regd 29429 21.9.46 or 48, ( near illegible year)
Engine number 1933, Reg no 30991, issued 9.4.46
Engine number 1970, Reg no 18158, issued 18.9.? Note I appear to have given 18158 as an engine number first off.
Engine number 6267, Reg no 9293, issued 8.11.?
I suspect most of the above were "retread relics" dragged out of the back shed in the postwar era when transport was at a premium. If it could run it was put back on the road regardless of condition.
The above is only those cards that were microfilmed, there may be still be surviving cards in the rest of the collection. I'll keep digging.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1273 by Gnome Rhone 1
Replied by Gnome Rhone 1 on topic Old Registration Records
G'day all.
I have scanned one of the letters with number quoted...how well they relate to 2022 I don't know.
I would have some photos of a couple of obscure ones mentioned.
Howard
Attachments:

More
2 years 3 months ago #1274 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Old Registration Records
Interesting...the State of Victoria must be littered with discarded Rego plates.
Have you found any ways of re-using them? Perhaps...
- Replacement material for broken roof slates
- Long-life book-marks
- At this time of the year, you could send us some in the UK for scraping our morning windscreens: thanks!

More
2 years 3 months ago #1275 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Old Registration Records
To clarify a little further,
Keith, if you visit www.aomc.asn.au you will probably get an answer to all your questions as to what early Victorian rego information is available to you and how you can access it. That's much easier than me trying to explain it here. Plus you can also put in an F.O.I request for later information now held on the VicRoads computer system. The material AOMC hold is what they managed to save from Vic Roads when they decided to pulp all the old pre-computer card system.
In the pre- computer era back in the late 1960's Vic Roads decided to microfilm what they thought were 'dead' cards. They did this as cheaply as possible and continued to do it up until the early 1980's. It is these that were recently digitised so we could read them again and where this current ABC info comes from. It is but a small proportion of the whole. That still leaves other areas of the AOMC archives that I have yet to access. This is not easy and Covid restrictions don't help.
As for engine number 33 I don't know whether the A oblique / on the card is meant to be an engine number prefix or does it merely define the card as being the very first in the system. The old pre-computer card index was an alphnumberical system with makes sorted alphabetically and then the actual engine numbers within the make sorted numerically. That made an ABC with engine number 33 the first card in. Why they added the A with oblique / I don't know.
The Victorian requirement for number plates started in 1910. It's been expanding ever since. It's outgrown every admin system devised to date and just think how many generations of clerks have tried to run it since then. No wonder it's so messy trying to go back and find things. But we try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

More
2 years 3 months ago #1277 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Old Registration Records
Previous message deleted due to spam.
sometimes it happens....