Old Registration Records

More
2 years 3 months ago #1261 by villiers
Old Registration Records was created by villiers
Long story short, I've had access to and been ploughing through old Victorian State motor registration records. Amongst this lot I've come across some ABC engine number records and thought they may be of interest.
This is engine numbers only.
Engine numbers only, 6267, 18158, 1933, 1970, 1454, 1009, N95, and 33, (possibly A33).
As this is Harry Beanhams original stamping grounds i'm sure the Register has most of these already but possibly there are one or two new ones for it.
These numbers were retrieved from an old card index system that was first microfilmed for economical storage and then as microfilm readers are disappearing fast recently digitised so we can read them again.
Of any interest?
Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1262 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Old Registration Records
Hi Villiers,
You speak of Harry Beanham's original stamping ground...in more ways than one, perhaps. I refer to a set of number stamps...
Sopwith engine serial numbers ran from 1001 to about 3400, so several of your quoted numbers appear to be mildly bogus.
The Register lists 14 Sopwiths in Oz and Taz, but none of your 1009/1454/1933/1970 engines are among them. Do you suppose that any of these machines still exist?
Anyway, thanks for your time, it's unusual for a Registrar to receive information, normally I only get questions!

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #1263 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Old Registration Records
hi do you have images of the information, if so is it possible to put them on the site thanks ps are there any frame numbers
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by keithsams. Reason: added information

More
2 years 3 months ago #1264 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Old Registration Records
Well, I thought to arouse a modicum of interest but I got more than I expected didn't I.
Firstly, these numbers are taken from official State records. Whether bogus or not ABC motorcycles having engines stamped with these numbers were registered and put on the road in Victoria. Given that photos of Harry Beanham with his bikes are held, it may be possible to link some of these engine numbers with the number plates of bikes in Harry's photos. I'll go back and get the licence plate numbers.
Sorry, Keith, no frame numbers and no chance of putting images of the original cards up on the site. Getting as far as I have has taken months and is an utter pig of a job. It is NOT like you see on TV or the movies. The information may now be digitised so it can be read on a computer but it's not a computer program you can search. It's a matter of reading card after card and there are an awful lot of them.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1265 by Gnome Rhone 1
Replied by Gnome Rhone 1 on topic Old Registration Records
Interesting topic....I have the rego records for early Tasmania and it is searchable. I will check it out for ABC's.
I have Harry Beanham's Gnome Rhone plus others.
Amongst the paperwork I also bought at Harry last auction are letters from the Registrar of the time David Hales which give numbers of Harry's property.
I can scan and place them up here if David give his permission .
Howard.

More
2 years 3 months ago #1266 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Old Registration Records
ok thanks anyway, it would be good if you have some added information howard i am sure it will all make sense somehow