Old Registration Records

More
4 months 1 week ago #1275 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Old Registration Records
To clarify a little further,
Keith, if you visit www.aomc.asn.au you will probably get an answer to all your questions as to what early Victorian rego information is available to you and how you can access it. That's much easier than me trying to explain it here. Plus you can also put in an F.O.I request for later information now held on the VicRoads computer system. The material AOMC hold is what they managed to save from Vic Roads when they decided to pulp all the old pre-computer card system.
In the pre- computer era back in the late 1960's Vic Roads decided to microfilm what they thought were 'dead' cards. They did this as cheaply as possible and continued to do it up until the early 1980's. It is these that were recently digitised so we could read them again and where this current ABC info comes from. It is but a small proportion of the whole. That still leaves other areas of the AOMC archives that I have yet to access. This is not easy and Covid restrictions don't help.
As for engine number 33 I don't know whether the A oblique / on the card is meant to be an engine number prefix or does it merely define the card as being the very first in the system. The old pre-computer card index was an alphnumberical system with makes sorted alphabetically and then the actual engine numbers within the make sorted numerically. That made an ABC with engine number 33 the first card in. Why they added the A with oblique / I don't know.
The Victorian requirement for number plates started in 1910. It's been expanding ever since. It's outgrown every admin system devised to date and just think how many generations of clerks have tried to run it since then. No wonder it's so messy trying to go back and find things. But we try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #1277 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Old Registration Records
Previous message deleted due to spam.
sometimes it happens....

More
2 months 2 days ago #1293 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Old Registration Records
Just a note to say I've been able to get in to the original old State card index system in addition to the microfilmed records I've already put up and found--- nothing.
The motorcycle section of the records had nothing ABC at all. Obviously I then hunted through the general car/truck/tractor/etc, section to see if they'd been misfiled but no joy. Nevertheless ABC seemed to be a popular brand name for all sorts of oddball mobile machinery. Roadrollers, warehouse trucks and the like as well as mysterious types of mobile agricultural machinery but no evidence of anything motorcycle.
I'll keep looking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams