Rockers

More
4 years 4 hours ago #858 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Rockers
Hi Peter

The picture you uploaded of an example Inglis rocker block appeared to have some damage to the alloy over the bearing material.

Have you run a machine with this particular Inglis rocker block? I am curious because my Inglis rockers appear to have some cracking on a couple of the mounting lugs and wonder whether this will be a problem

Thanks

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 hours ago #860 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic Rockers
Hi Phil
I am pleased you noticed the damage to the Aluminium Housing on my INGLIS Rocker. This was the Rocker set that I finished the 600Km DJ Rally with and the motor was still running sweetly at the end of the Rally.There is however movement in the Bronze bush and I would Not like to try another Rally with it like this. I could try and weld and repair it but I was hoping that this post would get all the members looking through their spares and someone would be able to help me with a spare. ( I have many things that you all need and I would like to exchange).
A good set of Rockers in excellent condition are needed on everyone s bike.
Post a picture of the cracks on your bodies and let us all look at them.
I believe that the INGLIS Rocker was one of the most successful aftermarket Rockers and depending on the response we get we may need to re manufacture a few bodies.
There are even a few ABC Gnome Rhone Motorcycles that are using the INGLIS Rocker.
BTW I have discovered another Rocker type on a GR that I hope someone can Identify. I will post it shortly but for clarity I will include the INGLIS Rocker ( With Damage)
Regards
Peter
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 hours ago #861 by Peter Gillespie

I saw this set of Rockers on an ABC Gnome Rhone near Paris . I assume it is an aftermarket set. Can any of our members identify it and give us a bit more information about it. We may need our French Members to get involved. Come on Daniel.
Regards
Peter
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 hour ago - 4 years 5 minutes ago #862 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Rockers
Hi Peter

As requested, below are some pictures of my rockers.

1. Tops sides. One set of rockers is clearly marked Inglis and stamped RHS. The other has no markings other than a previous owner has written RHS on it (just to confuse).

2. Undersides. The Inglis rocker has a pair of strengthening webs running between the mounting lugs. The unmarked rocker does not!

3. This picture hopefully shows the crack running across the top of the mounting lug on the Inglis rocker. In a very similar position to the damage on Peter's Inglis rocker.

4. This picture shows the crack running along the underside of the unmarked rocker.

5. This is my current plan. I intend to support both rockers with a thin steel plate beneath and hopefully prevent the cracks from spreading further.

I believe the cracking may be due to the rockers having been mounted short alloy cylinders of different lengths or may be just hard use

Last edit: 4 years 5 minutes ago by gioorl.

More
3 years 11 months ago #863 by Peter Gillespie
Hi Phil
I see we both have the same problem. This may be a standard problem with the INGLIS Rocker housing. Please , other members ,look at your Inglis Rockers and parts and report if these housing cracks are common. If you look at my damaged housing you can see it had been repaired by welding before.
If you look at the underside of your Rockers , Phil , you can see they have been cut away near the mounting possibly to make clearance for the valve spring. I do not think this would affect things too much.
Other Members , Please report your experiences with the Inglis Rockers. If there is enough interest it may be worth our while to make a few new housings?
Regards
Peter

More
3 years 11 months ago #864 by Wolfgang
Replied by Wolfgang on topic Rockers
Hello,

when I got my ABC's, these rockers were mounted.
You can see that they were broken, I didn't even try welding, I built new ones.

Greetings

Wolfgang
Attachments: