ABC Cars, Aero engines and the Robin aeroplane

'Santa's Present'

More
2 years 4 months ago #1227 by Dabney
Replied by Dabney on topic 'Santa's Present'
Giovanni,
Thank you for your answer and allowing me a peaceful nights sleep. Had a look at the 1912 Green engine and from that you can see how the valves and magneto drive would have been attached. I must stop thinking about this!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #1228 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic 'Santa's Present'
Giovanni,

I always thought that the6:1 reduction on the camshaft would make it difficult to manufacture as it would require three lobes per valve. None of the pictures I've seen show these lobes so it looks as though they never materialised. Had they done so with very long rockers to reach the valves they would have had a very short life as they were totally unlubricated.
Ian was pertly right in comparing it to the Green engine which had an overhead camshaft so this would have been the first and only overhead camshaft ABC engine. :cheer:

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #1229 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic 'Santa's Present'
We have a saying in Holland; better halfway turned than the whole way lost.

I am working on a replica of the first 1905 Isle of Man winning racer with J.A.P. Vtwin engine with a one pushrod and vacuum inlet valve.

Maybe i will never finish it.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by degraaff.

More
2 years 4 months ago #1230 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic 'Santa's Present'
If the 1905 JAP is a never ending project...maybe you can make a replica of this V8 :silly:

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #1231 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic 'Santa's Present'
The main reason for stopping is; if it's finished it would be standing next to the others.
The challence is still; am i abel to get the 730cc mashine below the 50kilo it should be.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by degraaff.

More
2 years 4 months ago #1232 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic 'Santa's Present'
Ha! So Santa's present was a Granshaw product! It really amazes me that he was ever able to design something as good as the Sopwith motorbike!