Dating my machine

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1126 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Dating my machine
The Register lists a little over 200 machines, although their present whereabouts is largely unknown, as is their condition, and that of their owners.
A small handful of machines is known to be receiving restorative attention, and there is every hope that these will hit the highway quite soon.
By far the most prolific creator of ABC spare parts is Peter Gillespie in S. Africa. However, he has a deep mistrust of the S. African postal system, and until he can once again make personal deliveries to the UK, his production is simply stacking up.
By the way, Peter is much keener on exchanging parts than selling them. You'll get very good deals for magnetos, carbs and any of the main castings, etc.
I think that there will be a good showing of ABCs at Founder's Day, Stanford Hall on 18th July. See you there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1127 by Guy ABC
Replied by Guy ABC on topic Dating my machine
Thanks. My frame number. now that I have found it by trying not to remove 100yo paint, is 1206 and the engine number is 1209.

I would love to know where that fits in the lineage

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1128 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Dating my machine
Hallo Guy (and also 'Villiers'),
Frame no. 1206/Engine no. 1209 are unknown unto the Register. However, the closeness of these numbers to each other suggests that they are original, and they are certainly from 1920.
1920 frame nos. run from about 1030, to about 2790.
Guy, do you know any history of your machine? Does it have a set of papers? What is its condition? Are you set on restoring it? Do you need help for this?
I'll be watching this space!

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1129 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Dating my machine
Incredible. One hundred years later unknown machines are still surfacing. It adds weight to my belief that the number of survivors is such that small scale spares manufacture using modern technology is getting to a practical stage.
A base of some 200 possible buyers is much better than a mere few dozen.

And to answer your query about attendance Paul. I live in Australia, not possible I’m afraid.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1130 by Guy ABC
Me too,

So I will not be coming to Stanford Hall. Mind you if someone were to organize an ABC rally in the future when all the bug kerfuffle has died down a bit I would seriously consider a lap around the Old Blighty on the ABC. Especially if we could take in The Manx and visit Milntown Hall as well.

I have driven the 1924 car and it was a real treat. Amazing how easy it was to drive and how well it went. All power to you all.

Guy

More
2 years 4 months ago #1214 by Guy ABC
Paul, et al,

Sorry for the long time replying to this thread. I have all the paperwork for my ABC. The lot, including receipt, registration labels and all sorts of other stuff. It is as original as can be without removing the additions (and subtractions) made over a used life. Anyone can get a pile of rust and make a Bugatti but you can't buy 100 year old paint, even if some of it is covered in Silver Frost which was a thing done in the dark past.

That said I still have a few simple issues which I must address before making her good for the road. One is the parlous brakes. Bearing in mind we do not expect Buell braking ability but at least a little retardation from the possible 100kmh, which is distinctly possible on these fine machines, would be calming on the road. Hence the desire to find a 7" rear brake unit to adapt and fit off correctly.

I would like to know what the little round ceramic ring in the magneto is made from. It looks like a fishing rod ferrule without the bracket!!

There is a thread here about pistons which I will find and address. I found a set of Daihatsu (wash my head with oil and ashes) pistons which fit so perfectly I didn't even have to hone the bore. The pin height was correct and I think I had to do something to the pin. A long time ago but if anyone is interrested I will dig all the info out and pass it on if it means someone else can get a machine on the road.

Regards

Guy