Dating my machine

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #1116 by Guy ABC
Dating my machine was created by Guy ABC
Greetings all,

I have been trawling through the website and can find no list or mention of a register of manufacture dates for these machines. Does one exist? I would like to work out where my machine fits in the scheme of things.

I will post a photo and data when I work out how.

Regards

Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1118 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Dating my machine
Hallo Guy,
I suggest you contact me at pybeat@gmail.com with full details of your machine, to see if I can supply you with the information you seek.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1119 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Dating my machine
if you let us know what the frame number is we can give you a reasonably idea when it was made. the number is on the headstock about 1 inch plus up from the bottom bearing at the front.it may be faint and should be 4 numbers

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1123 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Dating my machine
Can I ask how relevant the VMCC Reguster is to this discussion nowadays? It lists some 160 odd ABC twins giving fraame, engine and gearbox numbers but was last published thirty years ago. Have the numbers changed significantly since then and how helpful were they when first published?

I was always a bit surprised at how many were listed given the number that are seen in use. Is this just a reflection on the difficulties encountered by the average lone restorer?

Hopefully the sterling work being done by Forum members will draw out a few more.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1124 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Dating my machine
The VMCC Reguster, with fraame numbers, is not a patch on our ABC Sopwith Register.
Admittedly, this volume is never complete or up-to-date: it is only as good as the information supplied to it by Sopwith owners. Auctions are monitored for Sopwith sales, but the new owners are never listed.
The Register does not include an ABC Villiers.
Caution concerning Data Protection acts, prevents its general publication. However, specific queries and requests for relevant information are usually addressed.

More
3 years 1 week ago #1125 by villiers
Replied by villiers on topic Dating my machine
I have no doubt the current Register is greatly improved over the thirty year old VMCC list but the fascination remains. Where are all these bikes? Given the numbers of survivors listed and the number surfacing on this Forum there must be an awful lot in hibernation somewhere.

I suspect many are what is now called 'project' bikes and in need of major work which is beyond the skill of most of us but as shown with the crankshaft remanufacture perhaps their time has come. Has modern technology reached a point where total mechanical rebuilds are feasible? To me the Register numbers hint there are sufficient survivors for some spares manufacture "on spec" to be vaguely near practical.

It is the prospect of more vintage bikes on the road that makes the Register so interesting to me. The numbers hint they could have a far greater presence than everyone assumes.