ABC gear lever retention

More
4 years 1 month ago #833 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic ABC gear lever retention
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #834 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic ABC gear lever retention
Hi and thank you for your response. I did reply earlier but it has got lost in the "cloud" ?
When I rebuilt the gearbox the selectors and springs all seemed OK so I just re assembled them. I thought from your comment that there was another selector spring attached to the external gear lever.
When I was doing the gearbox rebuild I did regrind the dogs, on top gear, with a 5 degree undercut. This did help holding it into top gear. However when riding it proved very easy to just touch the gear lever with your leg and it dropped into neutral and the engine revs raced.
So after reading "Les Tavener's" report I saw a need to restrain the lever itself, so I came up with the magnet idea and it seemed to work really well.
So the next thing was to fit a magnet to second gear.
I am contemplating fitting magnets to first and third gear positions but it looks a bit more complicated and they are less of a problem.

More
4 years 1 month ago #835 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic ABC gear lever retention
hi sorry about the pawl bit
i have looked in the book and its called a locating plunger
the thing to remember is the the plunger locates the fork in a set position so wharever you do it will be in the same position and if the dogs are worn you will only get part contact and when that happens you will have the problem of gears jumping out
i suppose you can adjust the forks on the spindle because they are threaded and locked on with the nut but not something i have done. remove some material off the selector fork to allow it furher into mess?
all will mean the gearbox coming out i suppose.