ABC gear lever retention

More
4 years 1 month ago #826 by Andrew Cox
ABC gear lever retention was created by Andrew Cox
Hi
We all know one of the problems with ABCs is their habit of dropping out of gear, especially when you touch the lever with your leg.
To minimise this I have attached a "rare earth magnet" to the lever and another magnet to the change gate so that when in gear the magnets hold it firmly but you are still able to "break" the magnetic pull to change gear.
I did the MK1 on just 4th gear which was very succesfull, and now the MK2 variety is for 2nd & 4th gears.
The only non reversable damage is the screw hole through the gear lever.
I have attached pictures for your interest.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #827 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic ABC gear lever retention
hi are the pawls that keep the gear position at the side of the gearbox ok ?
these can stick with age also i have seen them packed out with a spacer to increase the spring pressure
also i have seen the slots in the gate extended so it is in the correct position for the pawls to locate.
i think this can arise if a gate is not off the original bike as they would have been fettled up at build up. otherwise a good idea but keep away from the traffic light you might get stuck to them

More
4 years 1 month ago #828 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic ABC gear lever retention
Hi
What pawls ?
There is nothing to hold my gear lever in place apart from the gate.

The traffic lights are not too bad but the steel suppliers are a real drag.

More
4 years 1 month ago #830 by keithsams
each side of the gearbox nearly at the rear next to the joint there is a plug each side,the same size as the drain pug in the crankcases.
if you undo them there should be a spring and pawl inside,you have to remove these to draw the gears out enblock with the rear end plate.
anyway the pawl locks into grooves on the 2 cross shafts that hold the selectors in place.
the spring and pawl may be difficult to remove and i cannot give you an easy way to remove them.
as i said previous i have seen these with a small packer in and the packers seem to be the same so it might be something they did at the works ?

More
4 years 1 month ago #831 by keithsams
can anyone put a copy of the gear lever forks and selector rods,if not you can purchace a copy of the original book that has a very good exploded view.
you will find them on ebay or british-motorcycle-parts.com

More
4 years 1 month ago #832 by keithsams
another problem you may have with top gear are the driving dogs
if they are worn they will jump out of gear. you can weld the worn area. but if your magnets do the job then it will save you a lot of work