Jack Emerson Items at Auction

More
4 years 8 months ago #667 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Jack Emerson Items at Auction
thanks i can read it better know
jack emerson rode for douglas and several others when he left abc so hope you are correct
there are also a lot of brooklands fans out there

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #678 by keithsams
hi does anyone out there know the whereabouts of any of the jack emerson items

thanks

More
4 years 7 months ago #688 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic Jack Emerson Items at Auction
Keith,
The scrapbook was bought by Brooklands Museum together with the helmet, the splendid 1920 cup and the Hutchinson booklet containing drawings of a number riders used in their adverts.
The cup was awarded for the first Bemsee race after the Great War and is exceptionally fine and well worth the price paid. The much grander later cup went for less than its estimate though perhaps this was because we weren't interested in it!
The Museum was disappointed by the scrapbook as it was nearly all cuttings that we already have. My view was that it was the collection of cuttings making up the story from Emerson's perspective that was so important. There were two letters dated Novemebr 1920 when Jack resigned as a rider that were almost worth the price. I will ask if I can post them on the forum. The significance is that they were on notepaper headed ABC Motors (1920) Ltd rather than Sopwith Aviation which by that date was in liquidation.
Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: gioorl, Gillespie

More
4 years 7 months ago #689 by keithsams
hi roger
thanks for the information
my bt email is down at the moment so only just found this
regards keith

More
4 years 7 months ago #690 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic Jack Emerson Items at Auction
Keith,

The museum have agreed that I can post the two letters on the website. Rather than put them in the forum I will send them to Giovanni as they probably need to be included the the ABC history.
The cup was awarded at the second Bemsee meeting for the Senior One HOur race. We don't have the programme but the race report suggests that there was not a lot of competition. However, Jacl Emerson dominated the first meeting which was mainly springs and short races where there was much more competiton. Again we do have a programme which shows entries for Les Bailey, Bert le Vack,Don O'Donovan, Vic Horsman and Harry Martin.

More
4 years 7 months ago #691 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Jack Emerson Items at Auction
Images of the two letters have been added to the Gallery .

Direct link to letter from Secretary: https://www.abcroadmotors.co.uk/images/phocagallery/bikes/19201101abc_je_letter.jpg

Direct link to letter from Managing Director: https://www.abcroadmotors.co.uk/images/phocagallery/bikes/19201102abc_je_letter.jpg

Thank you Roger and Andrew @ Brooklands Museum