Rallies and runs

100 years of sopwith

More
5 years 11 months ago #403 by keithsams
100 years of sopwith was created by keithsams
many of you will realise that in 7 months time it will be the 100th anniversary of the abc sopwith so its time to finish those projects for founders day 2019 or any other occasion if you have any ideas. brooklands ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: skootamota, T. Baxter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #416 by T. Baxter
Replied by T. Baxter on topic 100 years of sopwith
We shall put our thinking caps on Keith.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #420 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic 100 years of sopwith
Brooklands is very commercial, maybe the Hersham recreation ground is better and closer to the 1919 factory.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by degraaff.

More
5 years 10 months ago #421 by NDHAERO
Replied by NDHAERO on topic 100 years of sopwith
I'm confused! Why is the talk of Brooklands? I thought the ABC would have been made in the Sopwith factory, in Kingston? I assumed it was the Canbury Park Road site. Or the site in Ham (The old Hawker Factory).

If the Canbury Park, then I would suggest Elm Road Park, as it is an open space just around the corner. Or if the Ham site, then there is Ham common.

I don't think much of the original factory is left, but the design offices are still recognisable. I believe they kept the façade from the Hawker / BAE factory in Ham?

I also guess the question on location comes down to what is wanted? A possible ideal would be to ride from Canbury Park Road to Brooklands - to cover manufacture and greatest achievement? But that would require going via the Hampton Court Road, or the Portsmouth Road - both very busy.

Nicholas

More
5 years 7 months ago #444 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic 100 years of sopwith
hello everyone just resurrecting the 100 years of sopwith.I have asked for a spot at stafford show in april on the vmcc stand so we will see what unfold.i will be asking for a larger pitch at vmcc founders day in july.We are not restricted to these two events but your suport would be appreciated.
so what do you think we can do elseware but please remember there are several abcs about but not many are on the road so we may be limited to private land. all these dates are for 2019

More
5 years 6 months ago #452 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic 100 years of sopwith
There is a rally where you don't need roadpapers just brakes, you can even ride a racer, it has own numberplates and a 2 day insurands.
It has a 40km run on saterday and 100 km on sunday with direction signs so you can take as long as you like, several broomcars and ADAC assist.
You can camp up to 7 days on the site, it's well organised.
I will ride the 1916 Firefly.
https://www.veteranenrallye.de/