ABC Cars, Aero engines and the Robin aeroplane

Westall Special

More
1 year 1 week ago #1542 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic Westall Special
What an amazing machine.
15" non hydraulic brakes with ventilation scoops on a heavy weight frint axle fitted with 19"  by 5" rims on what looks like ABC front cantilever suspension.  The MG radiator indicates water cooling and the rear suspension is offset with a strange looking gearbox woth a rocking gear lever.  Coulped with the exhaust pipe at the very front I can't work out why the gearbox is so far back.

There is an article in Light Car volume 55 (1939-40) on page 444 if Giovanni has access to in in Graces Guide.  The 1970 article is asking if it has survived and Petre Hales reported it as surviving in his notes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Shepherd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 week ago #1543 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Westall Special
This is a topic for David Hales but I can say the car was located up in Scotland, more precisely on the Isle of Harris.
It used to be owned by W.D. Cameron and I can find traces of him on the internet up at least to 1995. I have no records of what he might have done with it since the '70s.
Might be worth going there on holiday and ask around. Cannot imagine locals having forgotten such a fun car.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Shepherd

More
1 year 1 week ago #1544 by Dabney
Replied by Dabney on topic Westall Special
Does anyone know what engine is installed? It was entered in 1100cc class at the Chichester speed trials,
regards
Ian

More
1 year 1 week ago #1545 by Matt Shepherd
Replied by Matt Shepherd on topic Westall Special
It was a 1,088 CC ABC Flat-Twin. Thanks for the lead on the Light Car Magazine article in 1940, here it is and tells you all about it.

More
1 year 1 week ago #1546 by Roger
Replied by Roger on topic Westall Special
Thank you Matt, that explains a lot of the mystery.
After the war it was entered in straight line sprints but it was designed for Shelsley which explains the large brakes which are essential for that hill climb with straights leading to sharp bends.  The racing brakes on my Inter made me wary of arriving far too fast at the first bend
The longitudinal layout explains the front exhaust pipe position and the radiator cap is for the oil tank.  The original Sturmey Archer gearbox would have struggled to handle the output of a 1100cc engine running at a CR of 8:1 and 6psi boost which also explains the wider tyres on the post war version.  My Morris Ten has 4.50 x 19 tyres and that has just 30 bhp.

As it participated in a number of post war events I wonder if its performance was ever reported in the magazines.  Motor Sport shows 9 hits but their new layout doesn't seem to lead to details as it did in the past.  I will have a look at my database.