Oil pump and circuit

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1722 by ABC-GR-500
Replied by ABC-GR-500 on topic Oil pump and circuit
Bonjour à tous,
Je vous remercie pour votre aide qui m'a permit de comprendre et remonter le circuit d'huile intégrant la pompe à huile mécanique.
Cependant,sur le réservoir de mon ABC, il y a en plus une pompe comme sur le Gnome Rhone type B mais je ne sais pas ou en connecter la sortie.
Auriez vous déjà croisé ce montage sur ABC ?

Hello everyone,
Thank you for your help which allowed me to understand and reassemble the oil circuit integrating the mechanical oil pump.
However, on the tank of my ABC, there is also a pump like on the Gnome Rhone type B but I don't know where to connect the outlet.
Have you ever come across this montage on ABC?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #1727 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic Oil pump and circuit
Don't know why but these period pictures show two pipes joined together.

Je ne sais pas pourquoi, mais ces photos d'époque montrent deux tuyaux réunis.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #1728 by ABC-GR-500
Replied by ABC-GR-500 on topic Oil pump and circuit
Merci beaucoup pour ces photos qui montrent clairement le montage à réaliser.

Thank you very much for these photos which clearly show the assembly to be carried out.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by ABC-GR-500.

More
2 months 1 week ago #1729 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic Oil pump and circuit
now we know why your engine gave up phil, can you remember your grandad telling you this when you were sat on his knee   

More
2 months 6 days ago #1730 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic Oil pump and circuit
There are a couple of points I could add to the discussion at this point.

When out an about on my ABC people will often comment about "pushrod" issues because they have read it somewhere, but I think the biggest issue with the ABC "as built" design is the oiling system for all the reasons mentioned in the vintage text in Keith's post. I have noticed that on EK with it's Pilgrim pump oil system that after a period of higher speeds there is often a lack of oil in the clear plastic tube I have fitted in the oil feed line between the pump and the engine. I have always suspected that this is due to the pump being driven too fast (at twice engine speed?) to maintain the suction of the oil. However, as soon as the bike is slowed down for the next corner or junction then the oil returns. For me the key to ABC -happiness is ensuring that there are no air/oil leaks in the engine casing joints, at the cylinder barrel bases and in the oil feed lines which can affect the action of the engine draft passed the oil inlet ball and spring.

Secondly, I am not related to H. Mortimer-Batten and my Grandfather was only 6 when the ABC was launched on the world (I am not as old as I look, Keith). The only motorcycle that my Grandfather had was a Singer, which let him down just once too often and was left in a ditch just outside Marchwood near Southampton. According to family myth its still there if anybody would care to look.

Phil (not Mortimer) Batten
The following user(s) said Thank You: keithsams

More
2 months 6 days ago #1731 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Oil pump and circuit
P. Mortimer-Button Speaks on Sopwith Lubrication:-

1). The original initiator hand-pump/auto syphon system is perfectly capable of supplying the engine's lubrication needs.
1a). Even if Bradville Granshaw disowned it.
1b). Even though the late great Bob Thomas strongly advocated fitment of a Pilgrim (or similar) pump
1c). That ran at half-engine revs, and
1d). Wasn't really a pump at all, but a gravity-fed metering device.

2). The original system provided the facility of giving the engine 'bonus shots' on long climbs, etc.
2a). A Pilgrim plumbed into the main oil-pipe would prevent this facility.
2b). For this facility to be retained, the Pilgrim would need its own independent feed from the oil-tank, with a union to the main pipe close to the engine.

3). Oil entering the crankcase is instantly whipped into an all-pervading mist.
3a). Maybe, because of the crankshaft's direction of rotation, the RH cylinder gets more mist than the LH: but this is not to suggest that the LH cylinder goes short.
3b). Any differences in cylinder-temperature are down to other causes: small differences in LH and RH valve and ignition timing, biases and possible air-leaks in the inlet manifold-feed, slightly uneven oil-mist cooling of the pistons, see (3a).

H. Mortimer-Batten was just a cover used by my grandfather.