The Milntown ABCs.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1182 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic The Milntown ABCs.
Thanks for the info Paul.

What and where is the Register you refer to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1183 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic The Milntown ABCs.
David Hales, these days resident in Sutton St. Nicholas, near Hereford City, took it upon himself many years ago to gather all the statistics he could, of ABC Sopwith motorcycles and Campling Skootamotas. There might have been one or two collaborators in the early days of this endeavour (early 1970s) but by far the major effort was David's. His meticulous tabling and presentation of all his collected information is impressive, to say the least.
Some years ago, David bequeathed me (I'm still not sure why!) these Registers, and a vast body of Correspondence with the many machine owners.
I had little interest in Skootamota matters, and with David's approval, this Register and attendant Correspondence files were forwarded to our Webmaster Giovanni Orlando, a fitting and capable person for this post.
As therefore the de facto Registrar of the Sopwith Register, I keep it as updated as I can, and disseminate items from its database when and as requested for the benefit of all Sopwith enthusiasts.

More
2 years 7 months ago #1184 by SteveW
Replied by SteveW on topic The Milntown ABCs.
Thats all very interesting Paul. A real 'gold mine' for ABC owners and enthusiasts.

I have a copy of the VMCC machine register, which I think was last printed in 1991, and all the Milntown bikes appear in there. Interestingly there are other ABCs in the Register with Manx registration numbers, but I am not aware of any others on the island now.

When I am at Milntown this week I will make a note of all frame/engine/gearbox numbers. Is there any information in particular that would be of use to your register?

Milntown does also have a Skootamota in pretty poor condition with a spare engine.