Chain guard - chain

More
3 years 8 months ago #944 by Alan
Chain guard - chain was created by Alan
I note the superb chain guards for sprocket that Peter is producing. My sprocket guard is fine, but I don’t have the guard fitted to some machines for the rest of the chain. Does anyone have a dimensioned sketch of the original? I can probably approximate it from photos and in situ measurements, but thought I’d ask. Should I bother? I see lots of photos without it....
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #945 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Chain guard - chain
I was hoping that someone else would tackle this one...
Although at least one Sopwith prototype was fitted with a chainguard (ref. Newsletter no. 1004, last page) the production model never was. Various 'guards have been fitted by owners, with varying degrees or lack of expertise.
The problem is that the 'guard must be fastened (wholly) EITHER to the swinging arm, OR to the luggage carrier/mudguard assy., otherwise there will be relative movement between the ends of the 'guard, caused by deflections of the rear suspension. Of course, this can be catered for, with a combination of pivoted and sliding 'guard mounting points, a cumbersome complication.
I remember noting somewhere that, if a 'guard be insisted on, a bicycle chainguard, switched from right to left, and back to front, could serve perfectly!

More
3 years 8 months ago #946 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Chain guard - chain
Paul,
That’s good enough for me. I just wanted to know if the production models had one or not. As you say it would be challenging to allow for relative movement, so I’ll leave well alone.