Bushes in front fork links

More
4 years 1 month ago #829 by Alan
Bushes in front fork links was created by Alan
The 1/2” OD bushes in my front fork links and handlebar clamp are sloppy!
I’ve been unable to source bushes with the right wall thickness to fit the 5/16” through bolts. Any suggestions as to material and source?
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #837 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Bushes in front fork links
Hallo Alan,
I refer you to my Newsletter No. 1002 of August 2013, in which all aspects of your question are answered.
Paul.

More
4 years 1 month ago #838 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bushes in front fork links
Paul,
Thanks very much!
How did I miss that- I did have a look but was not thorough enough.
Alan

More
4 years 1 month ago #839 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bushes in front fork links
Paul, an interesting and informative article. A question- having reamed the holes out to 17/32” what OD did you make the replacement brass bushes? I’d already decided to fit grease nipples, but how much gap do I need for the grease to do its work...? My skills are slowly improving but are clearly still limited on issues like this.

More
4 years 1 month ago #840 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Bushes in front fork links
Hallo Alan,
Grease under pressure from a greasegun will penetrate very fine spaces indeed, so no worries there.
My brass bushes were tailored to a 'hand fit': that is to say, they could be inserted with no more than finger-force. Of greater importance was the fit of the bushes on the spindles: a light press-fit would be appropriate (and adequate) here.
A bit of juggling with shim-washers and the tubular spacers between the brass bushes will be necessary, to ensure that (1) the bushes are firmly clamped axially, and that (2) the swinging links are not! There should be a clearance of some sort (the finer the better, of course, but it's not critical) between the fork members and the links.
May your forks deflect free and true! ATB, Paul.