398cc Flat twin - rear wheel hub assembly

More
4 years 3 months ago #803 by Alan
Hello,
My rear wheel spindle, lock washer and lock nuts have been bodged/butchered in the distant past by person/persons unknown. It brought tears to my eyes. I don’t suppose anyone has a secret cache of lock washers, or better still, an inner cone ( I think that’s what it’s called) with peg sticking out that the lock washer registers on. Any help gratefully received. I have the dust caps, retaining plates and one lock washer/ inner cone, and some ‘flats’ although even these have been savaged. Spindle is not great but useable- just.
Thanks,
Alan Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #806 by keithsams
Replied by keithsams on topic 398cc Flat twin - rear wheel hub assembly
hi
it is unlikely that you will find any lockwashers,on removal if you dont put a spanner on each locknut and keep them tight when undoing it will break the washer ie lock the inner one and undo the outer.you may be able to locktight them in and i have made one before
but you never know someone may have some.

More
4 years 3 months ago #811 by Gillespie
Replied by Gillespie on topic 398cc Flat twin - rear wheel hub assembly
I have had a few washers cut and I have a few spare. The locating pin on the inner bearing has often been removed or filed off. It is soft and can be drilled out and replaced. Keith is correct, you need to use two spammers to lock otherwise it just pushes the washer out damaging it. If you need new locknuts I have them as well but make sure the shaft thread is good first. Regards Peter

More
4 years 3 months ago #813 by Alan
Peter,
You are a saviour!
You’re right- the locating pin on the drum side has been filed flat and the threads on one side where the locking nut sits have been partially flattened. The other sprocket side is fine, including the washer. Both locking nuts are a bit battered but serviceable. So if I could have one washer I’d be really grateful.
Noted about the two spanners. (I insist on making a contribution to the Gillespie foundation or whatever as this is the second time you have come to the rescue..I’ll email you separately.)

Many thanks,
Alan