ABC test write up from classic bike magazine 1981

More
4 years 10 months ago #596 by regabyneil
Hi
Maybe this is of interest to you guys.
Does anyone have the VMCC magazines with the “knowing your ABC articles” from some years back? If so can you photograph and post them?
Br
Neil
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #597 by Paul
Hallo Reg,
If you are referring to a series of seven articles that I wrote some years ago entitled "Learn Your ABC", which were published in the VMCC Journal, I could (re)submit them for an airing on this website.
Or do you have the Les Taverner series of articles in mind, that appeared much earlier, also in the 'Journal? I can quote their dates, or if requested by our august webmaster, could arrange for an airing for them too.
Regards, Paul.

More
4 years 10 months ago #599 by Paul
En passant, by the way, the machine featured in the above photos, MF56, was once the property of a Mr. B. Hinds. He restored the machine, with much soul-searching about its authentic colour. He eventually chose "Gun-metal Grey", but - so the legend goes - was heavily miffed when a concours judge penalised him for it! If you look very closely, you may discern that the footbrake pedal has been transposed to the LHS: Mr. Hinds had a (right) wooden leg. Another machine with a LHS footbrake, XK6686, belonged to one-time VMCC National Secretary Eric Thompson, although I don't think he had any wooden legs.
The Register lists MF56 as being in the Musee de la Moto, wherever that is. Any updates on this?
Your Honorary, Acting Registrar Paul.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #600 by regabyneil
Replied by regabyneil on topic ABC test write up from classic bike magazine 1981
Hi paul
Yes I’d appreciate both sets of articles. I’ve recently got myself a sopwith bike and I want to make sure I look after it. What I learned so far from reading articles here is that I could use shell corena sp2 oil and set it up to drip at a rate of 20 drips per minute. I would like to find out what fuel additives it needs and what can been done to maintain rockers etc.

I’ve got my VMCC membership and I understand they have a librarian, so if you have the dates the articles were in the journal then that would help out.

Br
Neil
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by regabyneil.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #652 by regabyneil
Replied by regabyneil on topic ABC test write up from classic bike magazine 1981
Hi. Can anyone help with the dates Paul had articles published in the vmcc and also when Les tavener has his articles published? I may get to visit the vmcc library tomorrow as I am in the area and I’d appreciate any clues regarding dates.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by regabyneil.

More
4 years 9 months ago #653 by keithsams
april may july 1989 are the dates for some of them just try july 1990 it said july 1989 on the next line down but that must be a mistake
the last part about Hillman imp pistons came several months after the completion of the article
sorry that's the best I can do at short notice
ps that is for the les taverner artical
The following user(s) said Thank You: regabyneil