cylinders

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #580 by keithsams
cylinders was created by keithsams
a member has had cylinders made to fit honda pistons and has recently fitted them
unfortunately the person who made them has now retired so i would think the way forward is to find another supplier
the honda piston are more in line with the original piston than the hillman imp
or would a sleeve work
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by keithsams. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #581 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic cylinders
Hi Keith,

I have waited so long to find out who the cylinder supplier is that I have decided to make some cylinders myself. There are however quite a few issues that I need to decide on before I finish them. Which exact piston do we use? I believe that the Honda GX 160 or GX 200 is the correct piston to use with a standard size of 68mm, a first oversize of 68,25mm a second oversize of 68,50mm and a third oversize of 68,75mm. I have heard that there is another Honda piston that is better suited but so far no-one has been able to give me any details.

Another decision I need to make is: do I make the cylinders slightly thicker as the OD of the standard cylinder I am getting at 71,2mm and that would only leave a wall thickness of 1,3mm before any wear has taken place?

I have done a metallurgical analysis of an original cylinder and am busy manufacturing 22 new cylinders. I am going to rough machine them to within 2mm of the final size and then I am going to send them to be normalised, after which I will do the final machining. I will then decide on how many to make left hand and how many to make right hand.

Do you or anyone have any comments or hints that can assist me?

Regards
Peter

More
4 years 10 months ago #582 by Bradders
Replied by Bradders on topic cylinders
Hello, out of interest, how are you making them? We had a pattern made for the abc car, and then had some cast.

More
4 years 10 months ago #584 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic cylinders
Hi,
We are machining them out of solid steel not cast iron.
Regards
Peter

More
4 years 10 months ago #585 by alex
Replied by alex on topic cylinders
Hi Peter,
Splendid stuff. What grade of steel are you using (Bright EN8, EN8D etc)? I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

It'd be good to get the exact Honda model.

Is that the shuffle of a queue (I'm hearing).

Alex

PS I may have some engine casings and a few bits for you. If you're still interested

More
4 years 10 months ago #586 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic cylinders
Hello Peter

I am also interested in a pair of barrels and would like to be added to the que.

I have recently (this morning) found an engineering shop in the UK that believe they can make new barrels, but I haven't been to see them yet to discuss any details. However, If you are further along the road then....

I think the Honda GX160 piston on second oversize (+0.050mm) is part number 1303-ZH8-010 and the GX200 piston is 13102-ZLO-010, but I need check this to make sure.

Regards

Phil