CAV Magneto slipring for ABC

More
5 years 2 days ago - 3 years 3 months ago #570 by Peter Gillespie
CAV Magneto slipring for ABC was created by Peter Gillespie
I have stripped my Magneto and found the slipring broken.
Does anyone know if Sliprings on the Magneto are available for the CAV Magneto? Does anyone have a spares Magneto with useable slipring? Does anyone have a CAV Magneto that needs a slipring? Does anyone have a spare CAV Magneto for sale , useable or not. gillespie@mega.co.za
CAV KU2
Regards
Peter
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Peter Gillespie. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 day ago #571 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic CAV Magneto sliprings for ABC
I'm puzzled: a magneto for a single-cylinder engine has one slip ring, for a 'twin' the 'ring' is non-continuous, enabling commutation to each HT brush in turn.
The slip ring is mounted in a plastic (non-conducting) spool, with deep flanges either side of the ring. I wonder if you are referring to broken, damaged flanges: these are vulnerable to clumsy handling, and often miss bits.
The function of the flanges is to dissuade grease and muck getting onto the ring, as much as anything. Provided there is still some inner-part of the flanges left (enough to prevent the HT sparking to earth instead of going through the brushes) then you've got no problem, it will work perfectly.
Repair of the flanges is probably better not attempted, in case bits should come loose later when in action.

More
5 years 1 day ago #572 by Peter Gillespie
Replied by Peter Gillespie on topic CAV Magneto sliprings for ABC
Hi Paul
You are correct , there is only one slipring per Magneto. I stripped two and both the sliprings are damaged. The one the flange has a piece missing and the other has a crack right through the centre. As I understand it the function of the flanges is to stop Arcing between the HT and the body or the armature. These seem to be made of Bakelite which is an early plastic with good electrical insulating properties.
If they are not available , the correct way would be to make a mould so that new sliprings can be made from Bakelite. I am trying to find out what the demand for these sliprings is and if it is worthwile making new parts.I have noticed that many ABCs do not have the original CAV Magnetos fitted.
Regards
Peter

More
4 years 10 months ago #635 by degraaff
Replied by degraaff on topic CAV Magneto sliprings for ABC
My CAV twin slipring is leaking when warm so the engine will stop after 10 miles but will start again when cold.
It's rewound.
I would like a new slipring.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #656 by Peter Gillespie

I have just finished the Mould for the CAV Magneto so now we will be able to make the Slip Ring for the Magneto.
Regards
Peter
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Peter Gillespie.

More
3 years 4 months ago #1040 by Peter Gillespie
New Slip Ring CAV KU2
Attachments: