ABC Motorbike gearbox

More
6 years 9 months ago #329 by Bradders
ABC Motorbike gearbox was created by Bradders
Hi, first run out today, wont stay in top gear, any adjustment that can be made?

Went pretty well apart from that.

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #330 by Andrew Cox
Replied by Andrew Cox on topic ABC Motorbike gearbox
1st run soooo exciting.

Dropping out of top gear.
The good news is that you only need to strip the entire gearbox pull out the top gears and get the dogs undercut at 5 degrees and then put it all back together again.
The bad news is exactly the same.
Top gear is the only one that has drive dogs, and they are a bit small. However I have done as described and have not had a problem since.
Have you touched the engine ?
If not now would be a good time to give it a close look.

This is all on the assumption that there are no external reasons and that you are not knocking it out of gear with your knee ?

Congratulations another ABC on the road.
Kind regards Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bradders

More
6 years 9 months ago #331 by Bradders
Replied by Bradders on topic ABC Motorbike gearbox
Thanks, mildly annoying to have to dismantle it again! On the abc car its just a turn of a screw to stop it jumping out.

Not knocking it out, you can hold it in, but its quite hard to have enough hands too.

Engine has been looked at and is within tolerances.

I found her quite pleasant once out on the open road, comfortable, well more so than other things I have ridden of the period. I would think a fully fettled machine would be capable of some decent speed. A lot nicer machine than the OK Bradshaw sports (350 oil cooled engine).

Thanks for your help, I will post pictures up in case they are of help to anyone else.

George