ABC Cars, Aero engines and the Robin aeroplane

WW2 Auxiliary Power Unit

More
8 years 1 month ago #194 by Nitroxwill
WW2 Auxiliary Power Unit was created by Nitroxwill
Hi Guys, I have recently acquired a WW2 ABC Auxiliary Power Unit as fitted to Sunderland Flying boats. Unfortunately it's missing the magneto, generator and pumps. I'm mainly looking for a magneto which I believe is a BTH Type MC2.
I've replied to the advert(which may be years old)on this site, but the email address is unavailable.
Hope you can help,
Regards,
Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #195 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic WW2 Auxiliary Power Unit
I'll try to get hold of him.
Do you have any pictures of your engine you'd like to share on this forum?

More
8 years 1 month ago #197 by Nitroxwill
Replied by Nitroxwill on topic WW2 Auxiliary Power Unit
Thanks for the reply, there's very little information on the web about these little engines. Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust have one which is sadly only a static display. I've attached a photo of the my unit and also a photo of the Magneto on PDST's unit.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: T. Baxter

More
8 years 1 month ago #200 by gioorl
Replied by gioorl on topic WW2 Auxiliary Power Unit
Hello Will & all members of the ABC association,
sadly Kim Siddorn is no longer with us. His wife replied today to my email letting me know her husband has passed away on Christmas day 2015.

I have never had the opportunity to meet him in person but, through our email exchanges, I've always got the impression he was a very kind man as shown by his friends in this obituary:

http://regia.org/members/scrolls.php

His interest in engineering led him to write a book in 2009 about ABC engines which I'm sure would be of interest to many members but is quite hard to find: "From Somme to Beverly by way of Sunderland - The ABC engine in military service 1915 to 1971"

Giovanni