New (Old) ABC

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #393 by Wolfgang
Replied by Wolfgang on topic New (Old) ABC
HI Phil,

I had the same problem with the bearing of the rear swingarm maybe I can help you with the description of the bearings I have installed.
Also with the stand I can help with sketches.
Send me your email address, then I can send pictures if interested.

greeting

wolfgang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #394 by Batten
Replied by Batten on topic New (Old) ABC
Hi Wolfgang

Thank you for the offer. Any information would be greatly received. My email is philbatt86@gmail.com.

Regards

Phil

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #428 by Batten
Hello All

It has been a while since I had anything to post and so here is a summary of progress over the last couple of months.

First, decided to bite the bullet and make some new engine plates.

After a lot of quality time with my hacksaw and files I had a pair of nice new engine plates!

Next problem was that the swing arm itself was not straight and so once nice new roller bearing had been installed the pivot rod would not go through both sides. So the swing arm was sent off to a local machine shop to have the pivot straightened. Once it came back everything went together reasonably well.

At this point I should thank Woflgang for the various pictures of engine plates and bits that make up the rear mounting for the engine. Also Keith for information on the general arrangement of the spacers along the pivot rod and the rear mount. All very helpful.

I think I m going to tackle the rear wheel next.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Batten. Reason: Spelling, its always spelling!

More
5 years 9 months ago #429 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic New (Old) ABC
Could I be cheeky and ask Keith for details of the spacers etc along the pivot rod? I think I have it about right but any confirmation would be very useful.

Regards,
Alan Taylor

More
5 years 9 months ago #430 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic New (Old) ABC
Hallo Alan,
(Please excuse me, Keith, for jumping in here): I think that, ideally, the spacer tubes should be individually tailored to provide the best possible alignment of the rear-drive sprockets.
The middle tube is of course 5" long, to suit the width of the bevel-box. For the record, my L and R spacers (using original swing-arm bearing sets)are resp. 1 3/4" and 7/16" long. Over to you, Keith.
I'll be posting a G.A. of the whole swinging fork layout in a few days, complete with the 22 rollers!
Alan, I think you should wait with your spacers until your rear wheel is ready. ATB, Paul.

More
5 years 9 months ago #431 by Batten
Hello Alan

I would agree with Paul on this. In my case I have fitted the swinging arm with modern ball bearings and although the centre spacer is 5" to fit between the engine plates, I made the left and right side to fit. The reason for this was the difference in the final pivot point thickness with the modern bearings and the original ABC roller bearing set-up.

Hope this will help?

Phil